This dish needs no little introduction. Super popular almost all over the country and served and enjoyed at roadside dhabas and restaurants with equal gusto.
A freshly ground masala in the curry always makes it better and delicious.
The base of the curry has tomato and onions which are flavoured with the freshly ground masala and other everyday spices.
This curry has a slightly darker hue due to tea bags that are used while boiling the chole.
Well, go ahead and try this recipe from the comfort of your home, with Me
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 Hour
Cuisine: Amritsar/ Punjab
Chickpeas, (soaked overnight): 1cup
Tea leaves: 1 tbsp
Dried red chillies: 2 no
Cinnamon stick: 1no
Black cardamom: 1no
Bay leaves: 2 no
Black cardamom: 1no
For Choley Gravy
Ghee(option): 3 tbsp
Mustard Oil: 2,3 tbsp
Whole red chilli: 2no
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
Ginger, crushed: 1 inch
Garlic, crushed: 4-5 cloves
Onion(finely chopped): 2 medium
Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Medium Tomatoes(chopped): 2no.
Garam Masala powder: 1 tsp
Caraway seeds: 1 tsp
Green chillies(slit): 3no.
(coarsely ground) or
Aamcur Powder: 1 tbsp
Ginger (finely chopped) for garnish
Sliced onion for garnish
Coriander Leaves for garnish
1 – Add little bit of salt when you put chole into water for Overnight soak.
2- (Option) Add a pinch of Baking soda ,along with chole in pressure cooker to whistle.
3- Put little bit of butter or desi Ghee at the top of the chole while serving.
● Take muslin cloth, add tea leaves and tie into a knot.
● Heat a pressure cooker, add sufficient water, chickpeas, knotted muslin cloth, salt,bay leaf and black cardamoms and mix well. Cook on high heat for 7-8 whistles, reduce the heat and cook further for 15 minutes.
● Once cooked, Reserve the boiled chickpea along with its Water.
FOR CHOLEY GRAVY:-
● In a kadhai, heat ghee(option) and mustard oil on high flame.
● Add cumin seeds + dried red chilli and let sizzle it. Then add the ginger garlic .
● Add onions and cook till they turn brown.
● Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder, saute for 2-3 minutes.
● Add salt and mix well. Add tomatoes and cook till they turn soft and mushy.
● Add green chillies and saute for a minute.
● Now add the cooked chickpeas and cook along with the masala for 5-6 minutes.
● Mix in garam masala powder and pomegranate seeds(option) or you can add aamcur powder, mix well.
● Use the reserved water to adjust consistency and stir. Add in more water if required.
● Cook on medium high flame until the gravy thickens.
● Once cooked turn off the flame.
● Garnish with finely chopped ginger , coriander leaves and serve hot along with Rice or any Indian bread like Kulcha,Roti, Puri.