Abid, nicknamed “Legend” in Pakistan’s dressing room, hit 109 runs in his first test match in Rawalpindi and 135 runs in his 2nd test match in Karachi. Abid becomes the 1st Pakistani batsman and world 9th batsman to score two successive centuries in consecutive test matches.
List of batsman centuries in First Two Test
- Bill Ponsford(Australia) in 1924
- Doug Walter (Australia) in 1965
- Alvin Kallicharran(West Indies) in 1972
- Md Azharuddin(India) in 1983
- Greg Blewett(Australia in 1995
- Saurav Ganguly(India) in 1996
- Rohit Sharma(India) in 2013
- Jimmy Neesham(New Zealand) in 2014
- Abid Ali(Pakistan) in 2019
The Rawalpindi century made abid the 1st batsman ever to score centuries in both test and Odi’s Debuts. He had scored 112 in his 1st ODI played against Australia in Dubai earlier this year.
Abid credited domestic cricket for his performance and said ” The domestic cricket I have played has served me well, in 105 first-class matches I have played before this game, all I was focused I have to take my chance whenever I was given one. I was intent on being positive and that always the way I look to play“.
Abid century takes the Pakistan Team to a strong position and a lead of competitive one against the Srilankan team in the 2nd test match in Rawalpindi. Pakistan came with positive batting after the collapse of the batting line up in the 1st innings at low score.